Beyond the Stage: Composing New Opera
Join composers Kevin March and Simon Bruckard as they dissect their scores for the new work Echo and Narcissus /Cassandra in Victorian Opera's Beyond the Stage education program.
This exciting new program offers you and your students access to:
- Video interviews with the composers on a range of compositional topics.
- A performance of Echo and Narcissus / Cassandra, available to view on demand.
- Curriculum-aligned resources featuring hands-on classroom activities to get students putting theory into practice.
Ideal for secondary school students in Years 9-12 studying Music and Music Styles and Composition.
What will the video interviews cover?
In each interview, Kevin and Simon discuss a different topic around composing for opera, drawing from the score of Echo and Narcissus / Cassandra to provide examples and demonstrations.
- Video 1: Introduction
Familiarise yourself with opera and some of the key characteristics that separate it from composing for other art forms.
- Video 2: The relationship between the libretto and music score
Learn about the text in the libretto and how it can impact or guide a composer's creative decisions when writing the music.
- Video 3: Compositional devices
Kevin and Simon demonstrate how they utilise a variety of elements of music and employ compositional devices in their work to create a specific atmosphere, sound or texture and elicit a particular response in the listener.
- Video 4: Composing for voice
Discover the stylistic choices on offer when composing for the different voice types in opera and what the composer should consider when writing music for voice.
- Video 5: The orchestration process
Kevin and Simon reveal the process behind orchestrating for an ensemble and discuss choosing instruments and the reasons behind their choices.
Please note, video content is subject to change.
How and when do I access the content?
Access to the video interviews, on demand performance of Echo and Narcissus / Cassandra and resources will be available from Monday 19 April until Friday 27 September 2021. Please note, you will not be able to access the content after this date.
All content will be available online. Access details will be provided after you book.
- Digital access to Echo and Narcissus / Cassandra - $20 per school.
- Access to the interview series and resource - $5 per student. No charge to teachers.
How do I book?
Register online via the button below. Complete the online registration with the number of students participating and details of the main contact.
You will be sent an invoice for payment. Once payment has been received, your log-in details to access the program will be sent.
If you have any questions or need help registering, contact Education Manager Ioanna Salmanidis via email or phone (03) 9012 6659.
This program is generously supported by: