Next Victorian Opera performance
Jew in Strauss' Salome, February 2020
Last 3 major performances
- Schaunard in Puccini's La Bohème, Stonnington City Council, 2019
- Mr. Lindquist in Sondheim's A Little Night Music, Watch This, 2018
- Il Re in Respighi's La bella dormente nel bosco, Victorian Opera, 2017
- Bayreuth Young Artist Festival
- Manhattan Opera Studio
- Gertrude Opera Young Artist Program
- Diploma of Education, Australian Catholic University
- Bachelor of Music, The University of Melbourne
Age when you started singing
7 years old with the Australian Boys Choir; formal singing training at 15.
Favourite opera or musical
How about both?!! La Bohème was the very first opera I saw so it’s hard to beat the opera that made me fall in love with the genre! Songs for a New World by Jason Robert Brown is probably my favourite musical. Two shows that make you laugh, cry and everything in between!
Favourite opera or musical role to perform
Papageno in The Magic Flute. One of the first roles I learnt and just a joy exploring how silly I could be on stage.
Performing the title role in Sweeney Todd. What he goes through is so heart wrenching but the twists and turns this show takes you on is such a roller-coaster ride for the characters and the audience.
A fun fact not many people know about you
I was a competitive cheerleader for two years with ACE dance studio. Cheerleading in real life is actually like the movie Bring It On, but 100 times the energy and it is an incredibly supportive and fun loving community to be a part of.
Tell us about your hobbies outside opera
- I have a Black Labrador Retriever called Izak
- I love my sports, specifically the NBA, and am an AFL and Sydney Swans fanatic
- I love being active and traveling, just as much as I enjoy sitting on the couch with a book
- Rotary International New Generations Services Exchange Recipient 2018
- Herald Sun Aria Finalist 2017
- Herald Sun Aria Finalist 2016
- David Allen Memorial Award, National Liederfest 2016
- John Harber Phillips Fellowship, Gertrude Opera 2013
- Full Merit Scholarship Recipient, The University of Melbourne 2008 - 2010
"Versatile Melbourne baritone Raphael Wong brought warmth and vigour to his role as Ivan-Korolevich, with flesh on the notes and expressivity to colour it."
Paul Selar, Herald Sun/OperaChaser