Victorian Opera’s newly established Youth Ambassador Program offers 5 secondary school students in Years 11 and 12 the opportunity to represent Victorian Opera in their school and social communities and to support the company in its engagement with young audiences.
The company is looking for Ambassadors with an interest in opera, musical theatre, drama, design and stage management, who are interested in pursuing a career in the performing arts industry.
Ambassadors will take on a leadership role, acting as advocates for Victorian Opera and the work it produces while working with the company to improve on how it engages with audiences of a similar age.
As part of the program, Ambassadors will receive the following.
2 tickets to the following performances:
- Happy End, Arts Centre Melbourne, Playhouse – Thursday 24 March
- Elektra, Arts Centre Melbourne, Hamer Hall – Wednesday 14 September
- The Butterfly Lovers, Arts Centre Melbourne, Playhouse – Thursday 13 October
- A Christmas Carol, Palais Theatre, St Kilda – Thursday 15 December
An invitation to attend pre-show events to meet and get to know Victorian Opera Patrons on the performance dates listed above.
Access to Stage Orchestral and General rehearsals for the following productions:
- The Selfish Giant – General Rehearsal, Wednesday 25 May 6:30pm-9:30pm
- Il Mago di Oz – Stage Orchestral, Thursday 25 August 6:30pm-9:30pm
- A Christmas Carol – General Rehearsal, Wednesday 14 December 6:30pm-9:30pm
Am I eligible?
The Youth Ambassador Program is available to any Victorian secondary school students in Year 11 or 12.
Applicants must be able to attend all the dates listed above and are expected to make their own way to performance and rehearsal venues.
Please note, this is a voluntary role, and any travel and accommodation costs are not covered by Victorian Opera.
How do I apply?
To apply, applicants need to submit answers to the following questions:
- What has been the best opera or musical theatre production you have seen (amateur/professional) and what made it so memorable?
- How are you involved in school or community opera or musical theatre productions? What roles have you played? (i.e., performer, designer, stage manager etc.)
- Why do you want to be a Victorian Opera Youth Ambassador?
- How will you help to introduce your peers in your school and social communities to Victorian Opera?
- How do you think Victorian Opera can improve the way it interacts with younger audiences?
Applicants should also provide a written reference from a school teacher.
Applicants who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications are to be sent to Education Manager, Ioanna Salmanidis via email.
Applications open Wednesday 5 January and close Friday 4 March 2022.
If you have any questions, please contact our Education Manager Ioanna Salmanidis on (03) 9012 6659 or via email.