We work diligently to ensure our entire audience can enjoy our productions and get the most out of their experience at every point. We have a wide range of initiatives and resources to provide an accessible experience for our whole audience.
Vision, Hearing and Mobility
- Surtitles or scene descriptors
- Audio Description and Tactile Tours (select performances, see below)
- Assisted listening devices (select venues)
- Relaxed Performance (Parrwang Lifts the Sky, see below)
- Wheelchair-accessible car parking and venue access
- Accessible toilet facilities
- Wheelchair and limited mobility seating
- Assistance animals are welcome in all our venues
- Visual story for Relaxed Performance
- Wide range of prices to suit every budget
- Accessible pricing for Pension and Health Care Card holders, Full-time Students, Seniors, Children, 30 Years and Under, Arts Access Victoria
- Companion Card ticketing
- Complimentary programmes for all performances
- Live and on-demand streaming options (new in 2021)
A relaxed performance provides a calm environment for audiences with elements of the production adapted to reduce anxiety or stress. Lighting and sound levels are adjusted to soften their impact; making noise and moving around the auditorium is welcome during the performance; and there are designated ‘chill-out’ areas in the foyer.
This environment is ideal for audience members with autism spectrum disorder, Down syndrome and those sensitive to sensory variance.
Parrwang Lifts the Sky
Arts Centre Melbourne, Playhouse
Friday 11 June, 1.00 pm
Supported by The Marian & E.H. Flack Trust
Audio Description narrates the action on stage for audience members who are blind or visually impaired via a wireless receiver pack and ear piece. Audience members who utilise Audio Description for a dedicated audio-described performance also have the option of attending the accompanying Tactile Tour when available.
Do you or anyone in your party require the use of an audio description headset? Audio Description is available for the following performances in 2021:
- Echo and Narcissus / Cassandra: Saturday 20 March 2021, 1.00 pm
- Parrwang Lifts the Sky: Saturday 12 June 2021, 11.00 am
- The Who's Tommy: Wednesday 18 August 2021, 7.30 pm
- The Butterfly Lovers: Tuesday 16 November, 7.30 pm
Audio description requests can be made during your online booking.
- Subscriptions: Enter your request into the 'Do you have any special requests?' text box towards the end of your booking (before payment details).
- Single Tickets: As you complete your booking for the audio described performance, an offer to include an audio described headset will be included in your purchase pathway.
If booking by phone, mention that you would like an audio description headset and the ticketing agent will include this in your order.
Unfortunately, we are unable to conduct tactile tours during Season 2021. We hope to recommence them in Season 2022.
Wheelchair and mobility access
Victorian Opera presents in venues that provide access and seating for wheelchairs and mobility aids. Please let the venue Box Office know of your requirements when booking.
Our venue partners place great value on making their spaces welcoming and accessible for all audience. The accessibility offerings for each venue can be found via their website.